Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Boundaries...

"Boundaries" © Mike Moore Studios 2024

This sign is on a fence (no not a wall...this isn't South Texas) adjacent to the park where I normally get my pedal on. It's uselessness is comedy gold. Does anyone really think the suburban backyard on the other side is open to the public? That it's free range park land? Not likely, but there's probably a statute, ordinance, or some sorta official proclamation that deems it's of utmost importance to the safety and well being of Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public, and all the little Publics, that this boundary be officially delineated. So there it is...plainly, and cleanly, spelled out in a nice, easily readable, red sans serif font.

Kinda makes you wanna be a sign maker sometimes. Don't want folks going somewhere? Put a sign up. Boundaries. Maybe your sign isn't screen printed on a metallic rounded rectangle, but I bet you got 'em. We all do. When my lines, not all of them are of the "battle" variety, get crossed, of course I'm highly aware...again...as I'd wager we all are. Thing is, I'm not quite as confident on my ability to sense the personal perimeters of others. Maybe no one is, or maybe I just worry too much...consistency is key I'm told.

Boundaries, "Stay in your lane", "Do as you're told", and the always popular "NO". There are some that seem to preach a message more possibly punitive and definitely limiting, than helpful or guiding. These are the boundary varietals that made me wanna climb the fence, and flip the finger. And I did, a lot...too much.

As a society, boundaries are without question needed. The necessity of any boundary is likely most supported by whoever or whatever comes up with it. The rest of us go along as needed, demanded, or otherwise legally bound to do so...or not. Still, gotta have em.

Go on. Set your stakes in the ground. Let folks know what your space is. Just don't be an asshat about it, and maybe ask about their space too. We need boundaries, our own personal hunks of whatever life is that is our's alone, but it's ok to share too. To give and receive, learn and grow. Maybe we just need gates on our fences.

Have Fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment